Sunday, June 28, 2009

Wow What a Week! Entertainment Edition Pt. 1

It's no secret that I'm a sports guy. It's not quite as well known that I'm also an entertainment guy. Well now you know. And now that you know you can probably figure out that for me it was quite the week. Pop culture nearly crashed its home in the Internet this week and if it was enough to do that you can imagine what happened to my little brain. First I'll recap the week that was, and then I'll go in depth about a few of the things.

Monday

Jon and Kate announce divorce

Greenville native Lucas Glover wins US Open

Chris Brown pleads guilty to assault on ex-girlfriend Rihanna

Perez Hilton and Will.I.am have Twitter feud

Ed McMahon, wing man to Johnny Carson, dies

Tuesday

SC Gov Mark Sanford announces affair with Argentinian woman

Wednesday

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen hits theaters

Thursday

Farrah Fawcett dies at 62 after long battle with cancer

Michael Jackson dies at 50 after going into cardiac arrest

NBA Draft

Friday and Saturday

Surprisingly quiet, thought maybe things had died down

Sunday

Billy Mays found dead in his home at the age of 50

(Note: This begins the Entertainment portion of the blog, if you're looking for Sports click the link to the right that says "Wow What a Week! Sports edition)

There are a few events on this list that are on this list simply because they are pop culture events, but in reality: nobody cares. This would be Jon and Kate as well as Perez Hilton who probably deserved to get decked by whoever he got decked by. The man posted that he got assaulted on Twitter and then whined via tweet that the cops hadn't shown up yet. First of all, Twitter is great for many things, getting in touch with Toronto Police is not one of them. Second of all, maybe if you were a real celebrity they would have actually shown up faster. As for Jon and Kate...well...I already said it, nobody cares.


Chris Brown pleading guilty people do care about though and here's why. First of all the two people involved are both not only A-listers but they are two of the biggest stars in music. Any song either of them released shot up the charts and with good reason, both Brown and Rihanna are immensely talented. That can't be stated enough. Despite his temporary loss of sanity in which he beat the crap out of his then girlfriend, Chris Brown is still a mega talented singer and dancer and he will be back. American society loves to build people up and then either tear them down or see them fall on their own so they can build them back up again or forgive them. This is a forgiveness case and Chris Brown will be back, probably in a big way. And to be honest I'll be happy to see it. I want to kick him in the nuts myself for what he did. Domestic violence is sickening and there is no place in the world for it. However the man can sing and there are too many goons in music right now that can't and thus getting a true talent back is going to be a good thing.


However there is another reason people care about this and that Chris Brown got celebrity treatment in his sentencing. Technically in a plea bargain you can get away with anything and he did plead guilty, avoiding a trial. However I have a feeling that if average Joe from Kalamazoo beat the tar out of his girlfriend he wouldn't get off with zero jail time, community service, and probation. Celebrity treatment is nothing new and when it's getting a little extra pampering here and there, not having to wait in lines, etc etc people typically don't have a problem with it. However this is the legal system where all men are created equal and thus all people should be treated the same. Now am I mad at Chris Brown? Certainly not. Good for him for pulling this off. However whatever D.A. let him off needs to be looked at because no jail time for this is absurd. At least scare him with a 30 day sentence or something. Please.

And now for the part of the program where I tell you my state is not as dumb as we look. We just can't elect a governor. Every governor we've had since I moved to this state in 1994 hasn't been good to say the least. David Beasley was hated by the time he left office in 1999 and James Hodges wasn't much better. Mark Sanford seemed to be doing much better and was re-elected in 2007 for his second term. He was a prominent leader in the Republican party and was even the head of the Republican Governors Committee. However this week his political career came to a crashing halt, one that included a future bid for the Presidency in 2012. First it came out that he was missing and when he returned he said he had gone hiking in the Appalachian Mountains for 4 days and could have been reached if necessary. This was a little fishy and a few days later the real truth came out. A teary Mark Sanford announced that he had been unfaithful to his wife, carrying on an affair...with a women in ARGENTINA!!! Argentina???? How the hell does that happen??? He says it was a close friend and then it turned into something more, which is definitely possible, but for a state that is often made fun of because we rank poorly in education and our Teen Miss South Carolina did this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww) this doesn't help. We elected a governor that had an affair. Bad. He had an affair with a women in ARGENTINA!!! Catastrophic. I love where I live and it is a beautiful state to come visit. We have beaches and mountains, nice cities and quaint small towns however every freaking time we make the news it is for something like this. So on behalf of all South Carolinians I invite you to come visit us: we're not as think as you dumb we are.

Completely switching gears now (no pun intended with gears), let's talk a little Transformers why don't we? I hadn't seen the first film yet until Friday which is also when I saw the second one. After seeing the first one I texted one of my friends and it said precisely this: "Wow. What a movie. Wow. Megan Fox." I now understood the obsession people had with this movie and the obsession with the women who is easily one of the most gorgeous woman on the planet. (However before I continue I must say not only is she easy on the eyes, but she is an incredible actress and that can't be understated.) With that knowledge in mind I went to see Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen which by the end of the weekend should smash all sorts of records set last year by The Dark Knight. I did a radio remote this week at a movie theater on opening day (Wed) and every show sold out at least 30 minutes in advance. The 10:00 showing was shown in two theaters and sold out so they added a 10:40 showing which also sold out far before show time. The manager of the theater told me that they had sold out the midnight showing in multiple theaters and had had nearly 500 people. The theater was in Anderson, SC. Not even in Greenville, which is a fairly big city. It was in Anderson, which for those of you who have never been there, well, isn't. I went back Friday to finally see the movie for myself and got there around 8:40 for the 9:15 showing. Sold out. So me and my friend waited till 10:00 and finally got in.

As for what I thought? Slam dunk. It wasn't quite as good as the first film but that's not exactly a knock considering I'd give the first one a 10. I give the sequel a 9. Everything about the film is astonishing. The graphics and special effects are unreal, the audio including the score (done by Hans Zimmer and Linkin Park) was excellent, and the acting/actors were also top-notch. The plot was excellent once again and one thing I noticed was the wit throughout the film. Not everybody was laughing, but I seemed to be chuckling (as was my friend, who was female, so it wasn't a me thing or even a guy thing) throughout which is impressive for an action movie. As I said, it wasn't the original, but is 9/10 worth the price of admission? You bet.

That takes us through hump day of the wild and wacky week that was and unfortunately things on the entertainment side go down the hump from here. For my thoughts on the legends lost this week continue on to "Wow What a Week! Entertainment Edition Pt. 2". As for you sports nuts, I haven't forgotten about you. How could I? Sports is what I do. So for my thoughts on the week that was in sports, which was wild in its own right, continue on to "Wow What A Week! Sports Edition"

No comments:

Post a Comment