Sunday, March 21, 2010

Before I Go, I Owe a Few Thank You's. 6,000 Words of Them

As I "announced" in part 1 of what has turned out to be the "Craig to Cuse" novella, I will be transferring to Syracuse University in the Fall of 2010.

Throughout this process and my time at MTSU, there have been a lot of people that have helped me. Some of you have probably helped more than you know. And while I'm not dying or going to some far away land where people won't be able to reach me, I do feel it necessary to thank a lot of these people as well as the people who have made my time here at MT memorable.

Some of you might be going wait, is he going soft on us? Nope. I've actually been soft.

Many of you know me as someone who will argue about something till I'm red in the face and saying I'm passionate to a fault may be true, however that passion and emotion isn't something that only goes when I have a disagreement, it is something that I try to show every second of every day in a positive light as well.

Although I do have a hard shell that sometimes may happen to border on arrogance (just maybe though), there is a soft inside that anyone who knows me well can attest to.

With that being said, the thank you's, just as my explanation, could run a little long and thus if you don't feel like reading all of them, if I've tagged you in this note you, or a group you're associated with are mentioned by name, and if you just want to find your name and move on with your life it won't offend me one bit.

And here we go...

Starting anywhere but with my parents would just be stupid. This has been a tough process not just because of the life altering decision at hand but because of all the factors going into it. In case you don't know, Syracuse isn't exactly cheap, so saying to your parents "hey, I know I've already changed my major and lost my in-state tuition doubling what you're paying once, how does a private institution sound?" wasn't exactly the easiest thing to say.

Yet they were open to the idea because at the end of the day they simply wanted what's best for me, and as long as I kept that in mind, hearing the response of "that's fine as long as you get scholarships because your college fund is going to run out if you don't and you're going to be in debt when you graduate" was just fine with me.

Beyond the financial side of things, they were also there many emotional discussions between myself and my parents throughout the last 6 months. The most meaningful to me wasn't even a discussion, it was an email I got from my dad. To be honest I don't even remember when I got it, I just remember what it said.

My dad had really wanted me to transfer since I changed majors, and had sat quietly as the time passed and I don't really even think he fully voiced his opinion once I said I wanted to consider it because he knew it was ultimately my decision. That digression and grace is something that I don't think many people could have exercised. I also think that is the first time I've ever talked about my father, grace, and exercise in the same sentence.

Anyway, the email simply stated that he was proud of me, and that no matter what I ended up doing, he was behind me and thought I was going to be able to do whatever I put my mind to.

I'm not one of those kids who blindly strives for "daddy's love". There are a lot of things my father does that I think are absolutely brilliant while there are other things he does that make me cringe. But he's still my dad. Hearing that meant the world to me and lifted a huge weight off my shoulder while at the same time complicating the decision, knowing that whatever I did was going to turn out ok.

Walking on a nice clean carpet or a path of rusty nails is a pretty easy decision. One is clearly harmless and makes perfect sense while the other is mindless, dangerous, and immensely painful. It's the decisions that have two good outcomes that are the toughest and life and that's what I had to make.

Insert Mom. It was a conversation I had with her a few weeks ago that really sealed the deal with me going to Syracuse. She was able to remind me of how I felt when I left Syracuse, when I had said I felt like it would be a mistake not to go there. She also reminded me how angry and bitter I was with some of the problems I had incurred with MTSU.

It's the ex-girlfriend theory. Sure there is reason why you'd want to get back with her, there is after all a reason you went out with her in the first place. However you also have to remember the reason you broke up.

So to Mom and Dad, thanks and a Facebook note will never be able to express the gratitude I have for all you have done for me so I'll just leave it at that.

The next person I have to thank is also a no brainer. He, above all others, is the reason I am where I am today.

When I came on my visit to MTSU I was greeted by a small black man who we all know and love: Steven Mizell. I was Steven's first recruit to MTSU and thus he kept in touch with me not only throughout my senior year, but also as I came to customs and as throughout my time on campus here at MT.

Not only did he bring me to MT, but he started me in media. Fast forward to about a month ago and the day I told Steven I was considering transferring. I felt awful. Just empty. As soon as I told him I could see the disappointment and emptiness in his eyes.

He wanted me to stay for two reasons: first and foremost we're not an admissions counselor and a student, but Steven is a dear friend, and losing friends just plain sucks. But from a professional standpoint he sees the potential and drive I have and wants to be able to say "That's an MTSU student," and as the only MTSU faculty member to stand up and say that he has my permanent respect.

In the weeks since he's given me a hard time about it, one because that's how we are, and two it was probably his last ditch effort to keep me hear. On Friday I told Steven that I had indeed been accepted and he knew I was gone. That night he sent me a text giving me his blessing and to be honest it's a good thing I didn't fully digest it at the moment I received it. I was on-air and probably wouldn't have been able to keep my focus for the rest of the show.

Steven, I know I told you this on-air a few weeks ago, and I'm sure I'll say it a few more times in person before I head north, but thank you. You've set me on the path to hopefully doing something that I love on the highest level, and for that I hope I can one day repay you.

The last of the "have to be in this order" thank yous go to Zac Defrancesca, Richard Lowe, and Curtis Nolte. I'll go in chronological order between them of them and go with Zac first, then Richard, then Curtis.

I met Zac on Richard's radio show and we instantly clicked. We became friends and started hanging out, and as someone who has been in college since I was I think in middle school, he was able to help me assimilate into college life rather easily.

He also gave me my first opportunities on air and basically told me the same thing I was told at Syracuse: if you're good and you put in your time, you'll get your opportunity. Sure enough I did, and by my second semester I was producing and hosting two shows on TV and was continuing on radio.

He's never let me had anything and still say he's harder to argue than anyone I've ever met, including my mother. This has not only made me a better media member, but a better person. So to you, you stubborn ass, thanks.

Richard really could have put a stop to my broadcasting career before it started. He didn't have to let this little freshman who just showed up one day on his show, but he saw in me before anyone else the talent and drive I had because he has it as well.

Richard was the media czar at MTSU, sports director at WMTS, GM at MTTV, and Sports Editor at Sidelines. A lot of people say about Richard he's there for you when he needs you, but I've never found this to be the case. I just think he thinks most people are relatively worthless and doesn't feel the need to waste his time on them. Yet, he did take the time out for me, and has continued to serve as my mentor in student media and while I haven't talked to him in depth about me transferring yet, I hope that he will continue to serve in this role as I move forward and he continues on in his life and career.

Then there's Curtis. It's not often that your trusty sidekick is older than you, has a degree that you're working towards, and is just plain bigger than you, but Curtis has been able to portray the "Robin" role to my "Batman" better than I could have ever imagined.

In reality this is not the case at all, there is very much equal responsibility in creating the monster that is our radio show. Yes I not only do a lot of the grunt work, in that I send the emails that get the big time guests, make the "ditties" that have made us infamous amongst our friends and listeners (don't take the plural to make it seem like we have a following, I just am confident that we have more than one), and lots of the other "work" that goes into the show, but he is the one who keeps me sane.

Sometimes its by showing me his own insanity and thus I just feel more sane, but that is besides the point.

Either way, Curtis is the one who can look at me and go, "no that's not happening, give it up" or "yeah, let's do this". He has a job and I realize that he can't put in the legwork I can, but I always know he's going to either bring his "A-game" or something that sucks but is hilariously funny, and to be honest either is perfectly good with me. If he could be my radio co-host for life, that'd also be perfectly ok with me.

Quickly though, Heed (a nickname given affectionately due to the size of his enormous melon) is also probably my best friend. I can never remember laughing to the point of tears more with one person than him, and how neither of us have never pissed our pants is quite frankly beyond me. I hope that he'll have time to come and visit next year and that we can wreak a little havoc on Syracuse in the process.

From here this will be pretty much a stream of consciousness work (not that it hasn't been to this point, but now the ideas are present and unorganized so hopefully I won't forget anybody and hopefully I'll do everybody justice).

I guess I'll start first with the two teams here at MT that mean the most to me: the basketball teams.

I've often been told that I'm a loser who's life revolves around sports. I didn't miss a single home game outside of winter break, there were multiple week stretches where I didn't miss a practice, I attended pre-season workouts, so to all those people who said that: you're probably right.

But if you got to hang out and interact with the athletes I get to, you might become a loser too.

First the Lady Raiders. I really got to know the Lady Raiders by doing the basketball special at the beginning of the year. I had gotten to know Chelsia and Alysha a little prior to the special by doing separate interviews, but I have never had more fun on set than I did interviewing those two together.

Chels is the epitome of a leader. She knows how to motivate, is articulate, fiery, passionate, yet is someone who you feel like is your best friend even if you barely know her. No matter what she does in life she will be successful, just as the rest of her teammates, because she knows how to treat people, and is simply one of the finest human beings I have ever met.

Alysha is the same way. She is a superstar on the court and has won every personal accolade imaginable, yet she is as humble a person as I've ever met. There have been many occasions where I've had questions for her, not as a media member, but as a person who loves the game of basketball, and she's always taken the time to answer them. Something else that speaks to her character is the fact that no matter how many times I've congratulated her on her ridiculous on court accomplishments, she's always shown sincere gratitude by saying thank you. It might seem like a small gesture, but how many people do you know that are like that? I hope that if I continue on my current path and my career is able to rival hers as a collegiate athlete I can stay as humble and focused as AC.

The next person I got to know was Jackie Pickel. I did a specific feature on her and thus got to know her a little better off the court than probably any other of the Lady Raiders. JP is someone who is just plain fun to be around and can light up any room with her smile and happy go lucky attitude. As a player she was the hardest working athlete I've ever met. She's completely transformed her game every year she was at MTSU and as she continues on her life as a teacher, I know she'll pass along her work ethic to all the kids she comes in contact with and the world will be a better place for it.

The last player I'll mention by name is Anne Marie Lanning. Although I didn't have as much interaction with Ree as some of the other players, she said something to me on set the night of the shoot that she probably doesn't even remember, but meant a lot to me at the time, and truthfully still does. After watching my feature on JP, she looked at me and said "That was really good. I think you're going to be really good at this. I can tell you just want it."

For someone to recognize your work is one thing, for someone to recognize your work ethic is far more rewarding. One of the things I'm going to miss most about MT is not getting to see Anne Marie's senior year as a Lady Raider and I hope I can keep in touch with her next year as she completely takes over the leadership role. The future of MT basketball is bright, and while next year might have a learning curve, Anne Marie will take every bump and bruise along the way cause like me, she wants it, and there's something to be said for that.

I also quickly want to thank all the Lady Raider coaches. I have never felt more pride in any compliment than a call I received from Coach Insell after the basketball special. It was a simple "You done good" but coming from him it meant a ton. He doesn't hand out praise easily. I've also learned more basketball from that man in the past year than I had in my previous 19 years of being alive. Also thanks to Coach Clark and Coach Head who always greeted me with a warm smile and made me feel like I belonged as opposed to "the enemy" that is usually the media.

And last but not least the managers, specifically Zach and Joe, who I have a lot of fun memories with from various road trips and helped to make this season one I'll never forget.

Then there is the boys team. While there is no group I'll ever be prouder of to have represent me than the Lady Raiders, I never truly felt a part of the team. This is probably because they are indeed the "Lady" Raiders but also there was a certain distance I had to keep at practice and such just because Insell runs a tight ship.

Meanwhile at men's practices I could be found on the sidelines amongst the players, and at games I could be found on the floor talking to Coach Case as my "pre-game ritual". I truly felt like part of the team.

This is the other thing I will most most about MT athletics as this obviously won't be the case at Syracuse where Jim Boeheim not only runs a tight ship, but has a slightly larger program to run that Coach Davis has to worry about here.

There are a few players in particular that made me feel as part of the team. First is Montarrio Haddock. I had a class with Tarrio first semester and even though he knew I was the media, he thought of me as a friend first. I've had many talks with Tarrio about things he sees and does on the court and I never felt like they were him talking to me, it was always a two-way conversation.

The same can be said for Rod Emanuel. I started really talking to Rod after the Tennessee game when I saw some things and was curious if he felt the same way. He told me not only had he noticed those things but the coaches had as well when they looked at the film and from there, like Montarrio, there was a two way flow of conversation. While I'm certainly not trying to take credit for anything Rod or anybody did, there are things he did on the court that we had talked about, and he was able to do them successfully. This gave me confidence in what I was seeing and talking about as a basketball mind and I can't wait to see how his game evolves next year.

Next year could be a big year for big blue and it quite frankly sucks that I'm going to have to watch it from afar. Jimmy Oden and Jason Jones will be eligible after sitting out a year following transfers and I think they will both be special. I also think James Washington will continue to grow as a PG and with another year under their belt, look for James Gallman and JT Sulton to do some special things as well.

I'd be remissed if I didn't also mention Calvin O'Neil and Boogie Yates by name as they also led to the family atmosphere to which I felt a part of and while I know their careers didn't end the way they wanted, they made one hell of a run at it and that counts for something.

Also, even though they probably won't see it, the coaches also deserve some thanks. Letting a student media member hang around your practices on the sidelines probably isn't always a good move, however Kermit Davis and his staff saw that I was there to highlight the good about their team and was a fair and honest reporter. While I don't always agree with some of Coach Davis's on court decisions, he couldn't be a nicer man off the floor.

Also gotta give some props to Mike Scutero, who was the teacher of my basketball class last semester and my "in" to the basketball program. Simply put, Scoot's one cool dude and I hope he gets promoted to a full time assistant so that he can continue doing the coaching that he loves.

Then there's Coach Case. If there's one person I'm dreading telling that I'm transferring it's Win Case. More than anyone else in the athletic program, Coach Case has taken me in as one of his own players if not his own kids when I'm around him. There is more love in that man than any human being I've ever met. I know I'll keep in touch with him and I hope that wherever he winds up as an Assistant or Head Coach moving forward that he is successful.

Outside of the athletic programs there are obviously a ton of people at MT that mean a lot to me. I saved this part for the end to try and think of as many people as possible and even then I know I'm going to forget some people.

I guess I'll start with some of the boys: Micah, Joey, Nate, Claude, Rob, Mikey, Troy (who also deserves credit for putting up with me last semester on radio and thanks for letting me on his show), Zack, and the countless others I'm forgetting that I've hung out with, played ball with, and just genuinely enjoyed the company of over the past two years.

I also feel that If I didn't show some love to Matthew Busman it wouldn't be fair. Although we surprisingly haven't kept in good touch this year, we had some hella good times last year as roommates and well, he put up with me, and that's worth something.

Then there are a few of the girls I've talked to as well throughout this decision to transfer that I think deserve a quick thanks (I realize this is slowly turning into a bad Oscar's speech so I'll try and be quick).

Chronologically first is Savannah Grandey. While I didn't really know her that well at the time, she was in fact the first person at MT that I told I was planning to transfer. We had just started working on a project for our speech class and we were getting to know each other and "why MTSU?" came up which led to me spilling the beans. Since we've finished that class we haven't kept in touch as much as I would like, but she was someone I could talk to in the early stages of this 6 month affair when no one else knew.

Then there's Danielle Hall. Not only is Danielle one of my best friends here at MT, but she is one of the easiest people to talk to I've ever met. I'll never forget when I told her about the idea of transferring, explained to her why, and how hard the decision was. She simply looked at me and said, "So, what are you gonna do?" I looked back at her and said "I have no earthly idea." Since then she's always been there to talk to, and while we haven't gotten to see each other a ton thanks to the fact that News 3 has eaten her alive, I know she's someone that's in the life long friend category and that's good enough for me.

Ashley and Stephanie (no last names needed, now it's less Oscary), have been the voices of reason from afar, and now that Steph's in Australia, really far. I talk to them as much as anybody and they've also been able to talk me through various things as unbiased voices since they have no ties to MT and for that I'm extremely grateful.

Then last but not least, just the rest of the friend I've failed to mention, Crissa, Lindsey, Michelle and Nicki (who will both be stars in their broadcasting careers), Alyssa, Amanda (who has also been able to provide a unique perspective since she's transferring too for which I'm grateful. She's also my MT bucket list partner-in-crime), Raye, and Rebekah.

Then last but not least, there are the few people at Syracuse that helped me when I was up there and have continued to help me in the past few months.

Mike Lefko and David Resnick sealed the deal with me going to Syracuse. They were honest with me and told me that I'd have to work, but if I did that I could get just as far as any student who had been at Syracuse for their full college career.

Then the last of the last but not least's (it's a word, trust me) is Mike Couzens. While I still haven't met Mike in person yet, he's someone that has helped me through this process as much as anyone and has also somewhat become a mentor to me as a media member in the process. He's always given me his honest opinion, whether its as a Syracuse student, a station manager, or just someone with an opinion.

I hope that I can have the pleasure of sitting beside Mike next year on radio but only time will tell and even if we decide to do something otherwise, I'm eternally grateful for all the help he's given me, not to mention his offer to house me and play tour guide next weekend when I go visit Syracuse.

Alright, that's it. To any of you who actually took the time to sit down and read all this, it means a lot, as the people mentioned in here mean a lot to me. I also recommend that you find a hobby.

My ride at MT has been fun and these last five weeks are going to be no different. I can't wait to see what the future has in store and I hope that most of you will be around for it, just like you are in the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment